Friday, February 25, 2005

Supper's Ready

I've talked about politics, let's talk about religion...

First off, I feel really sorry for the Pope (no, I do, really). If he had been any body he would have been dead by now, but because the Catholic church revere him so much, they'll do anything to keep him alive (that and the bollocks about the sanctity of life). Today he had a tracheotomy, to help him breath easier, but the signs are pretty crappy and had it been your dad or mine the doctor's would probably have suggested a quiet euthanasia, off the record.

I have an ambivelant attitude towards homosexuality - basically I'm a firm believer of each to their own. I have had many friends who were 'Friends of Dorothy' and a lot of my cultural influences were aided by gay friends recommendations. I'm anything but a homophobe, despite having been accused of being one once, not so long ago. Equally, I have about as much 'love' for the Americans as a Gaelic protestant has for a Catholic and vice versa - it's nothing personal, but if the majority of Americans can vote a warmongering chimp into office - a man who makes Reagan look saintly - then they fall off my radar. Yet I find myself supporting the American Anglican Church 101% over this 'gay bishop' business.

The fact that the rest of the Anglican church, represented in the main by (and let's pull no punches here) millions of ignorant, uneducated Africans and fundamentalists, who, for some reason believe the God they believe in would not have embraced all of his creatures equally - especially homosexuals, want the US church to get rid of the good man who is a Bishop and also likes to throw his sausage up dark tunnels, is totally abhorrent. The Anglican church should face anathema, they deserve it, the bunch of hypocritical arse bandits*.

*An old friend of mine and Anglican minister told me once that he believed a huge percentage of vicars were either outwardly gay or stuck in the closet, in loveless marriages with a whole world of repression heaped on their confused shoulders. When I asked him what 'huge' was, he said, "At least a third." I see the UK church is backing the rest of the world on this one and not the USA. There's all kinds of twisted logic in this world, but the fact our church can't support the US church on something like this, yet our government can support Bush in a war hardly anyone wanted, just seems so... I dunno, stupid.

No comments: