Monday, December 20, 2004

Feel Good by Numbers

The world is a horrible place and it won't get any better I'm afraid.

While the planet lurches from one crisis to another disaster, the general public just carry on with their lives, hoping for things to get just a little fairer. Realists will know that it won't get better, but it would be nice if it was fairer.

Personally, less than a week before Christmas (and yes, it is CHRISTMAS, none of this holidays crap) and I don't feel festive, nor do I look forward to the weekend with any relish. I'm not being a scrooge - I don't begrudge anyone having a great Christmas and I hope that many people do, but it isn't the same any more. Christmas starts in October and runs through till 12th Night. It has become the unnofficial season between autumn and winter. It used to be a special few days a year, something to look forward to even if you weren't a little kid - now by the time the actual day rolls around it has grown old and stale. There is a house down the road from me that has had its decorations up (every year) from the middle of November. One wonders why?

And to round it off, I'm facing the prospect of foresaking my traditional Christmas dinner this year for something either Mediteranean or Asian, and guess what? I'm quite looking forward to it...

No comments: